Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!
I completed this challenge the earliest I think I’ve ever done a challenge! And because of that as I sit here trying to type up my post I can’t seem to string a coherent thought together. So maybe, for simplicity’s sake I will just list some of the things I recall.
1. I was excited to see this post because it looked easy, could be whatever I wanted it to be, and would not use a bazillion strange ingredients or make me worry about extra calories.
2. I wanted to make a savory version and a sweet version. The sweet version won out.
3. I searched for something with chocolate but was fairly pleased when I came across this recipe for cinnamon and sugar.
4. They were very, very, very easy to make.
5. They tasted better a day or two or three later.
6. I never ended up making a savory version.
Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers
Source: How Sweet Eats
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar + 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well. Add water and olive oil and mix until a dough forms, using your hands at the end. Form it in a ball.
Dust a baking sheet with flour and roll the dough as thin as you can with a rolling pin. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the top and cut with a pizza cutter into the desired size crackers.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely.